The mission of Holy Family Catholic School is to provide quality education rooted in the Gospel message and teachings of the Catholic Church. Holy Family Catholic School educates early childhood, elementary, and middle school students in a safe and nurturing environment where they are encouraged to learn and succeed.
Holy Family Catholic School employs or contracts teachers who hold baccalaureate or higher degrees and who are professionally certified or in the certification process.
Holy Family Parish was officially established with the ground breaking ceremony for the church on February 11, 1950. On November 14, 1950, Archbishop Hurley of the Diocese of Saint Augustine gave the church its official name- The Church of Holy Family. Monsignor Rowan Rastatter was named its first pastor.
The groundbreaking for Holy Family Catholic School was on January 7, 1951. Holy Family School opened its doors in September of that same year. Under the directions of the Benedictine Sisters of the Holy Name Convent, classes began with an enrollment of 300 students in grades kindergarten through sixth. Sister Mary Grace was the first principal. She was followed by Sister Caroline (1952-1958) who presided over Holy Family’s first graduation in 1956 . they were followed by Sister Irma (1958-1960); Sister Celine (1960-1964); Sister Rosanna (1964-1968).
After Sr. Rosanna’s untimely death in 1968, Mrs. Ruth Barbick was appointed principal. With her appointment, Mrs. Barbick became the first lay principal in the Archdiocese of Miami. Holy Family was one of the first schools to employ both religious and lay faculty. Under the leadership of Mrs. Barbick, Holy Family became one of the eight pilot schools in the Archdiocese of Miami to receive accreditation.